The Community Outreach Group began when Isabelle Smullen, a member of Boehm's Church, provided in her will a sum of money to be "used exclusively for mission outreach to the needy." Since then the group has initiated and overseen many areas of outreach. Among some of the programs are:
- Working with the Montgomery County Habitat for Humanity to assist in the building of a home.
- Working with other churches to provide meals and assistance to homeless families through the Interfaith Program.
- Donating in various ways to the Mattie Dixon Community Cupboard to provide help for those in our surrounding communities.
- Working through World Vision to provide support to a child in Ethiopia.
- Creating a Donation Outreach Ministry through which donated items are made available to the local communities through various outreaches.
- Collecting clean usable clothing (adults & children), household items, toys, etc. throughout the year for our annual Free Market, which will be held in the spring. By advertising this to all local “shelters”, we hope to help those who are experiencing difficult financial times.
- Volunteering at the Inter-Faith Housing Alliance – In October, four of our members painted an apartment in Hope Gardens in Ambler. It is now fresh and clean and ready for its next occupant.
- We will be collecting non-perishable food items for Thanksgiving Baskets during October and November. The food will be donated to the Mattie Dixon Food Cupboard. The Cupboard will assemble the baskets and distribute them to those in need.
- Beginning in late November, our annual Mitten Tree will be placed in the rear of the sanctuary for decorating with scarves, gloves, mittens, socks and jackets. The Tree will remain in the sanctuary through the end of December. The items will then be donated to the Mattie Dixon Food Cupboard for distribution.
The Group continues to look for new ideas and meets on a regular basis. All are invited to be a part of this exciting ministry.